The Planning Division provides zoning and land-use information to the general public via in-person visits at the public counter, over the telephone and online. The Division oversees the following documents that include the vision of the community and the tools available to assist in its implementation:
Adopted in 2011, the award winning "Vision El Monte General Plan" provides a blueprint to create and sustain a community that appreciates its heritage, respects its cultures and is a place of opportunity and achievement. The Plan’s goals and policies serve as the foundation for local decision making and community engagement. The Land Use Map illustrates various land use designations within the City.
- 2011 General Plan (with updated Housing Element) (PDF)
- Land Use Map (PDF)
- Environmental Impact Report (PDF)
- Annual Reports (General 2011 to 2016; Housing 2013 to 2016) (PDF)
- 2017 Annual Housing Report
- 2018 Annual Housing Report
- 2019 Annual Housing Report
- Local Hazards Mitigation Plan_2017
To comply with State requirements and provide housing opportunities for residents, the City prepares a Housing Element every eight years. The current element covers the planning period of 2014-2021. The Housing Element contains goals, policies and programs to facilitate the development, improvement and preservation of housing throughout the City.
Zoning & Specific Plans
The El Monte Zoning Code includes all existing zoning regulations and provisions. The Zoning Code designates, regulates and controls the location and use of buildings and land, and establishes development standards for development. The Zoning Map provides a visual illustration of the various Zoning Classifications within the City. The City also has multiple Specific Plans for certain areas of the City.
- Zoning Code (Municipal Code Title 17)
- Zoning Map (PDF)
- Subdivision Ordinance (Municipal Code Title 16)
- Downtown Main Street Specific Plan (PDF)
- Gateway Specific Plan (PDF)
- Flair Spectrum Specific Plan (PDF)
- Mountain View Specific Plan (PDF)
The following Code Amendments have been approved by the City Council, but are in the process of being added to the online version of the El Monte Municipal Code:
- Vacant Properties (adopted on 07-02-19)
- Illegal Dumping (adopted on 09-17-20)
- Art in Public Places Ordinance Update (adopted on 10-01-19)
- Miscellaneous Updates (adopted on 10-01-19)
- Parking Requirements, Modification Permit Process, Conditional Use Permits, Multi-Family Zones, Mixed/Multi-Use Zone, Multiple-Tenant Standards and the Gateway Specific Plan
- Billboard Updates (adopted on 12-03-19)
- Cannabis Ordinance (adopted on 12-03-19)
- Accessory Dwelling Units and Other Updates (adopted on 02-04-20)
- Accessory Buildings, Accessory Dwelling Units, Floor Area Ratio, Lot Coverage and Parking Requirements
- Flavored Tobacco Ban (adopted on 06-23-20)
Design Guidelines & Resources
Adopted in 2012, the El Monte Design Guidelines provide guidance on quality design for the community. The guidelines include information on site planning, massing and scale, design and detailing and landscaping for single-family, multi-family, commercial and mixed-use projects. The 2011 General Plan also includes elements related to urban design and cultural resources.