Vision El Monte

Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web


Sign up below to receive the City of El Monte E-Newsletter.

You are here:   Government > Economic Development > Animal Control

Animal Control Division




Please note that beginning Tuesday, May 31, 2016, the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control will temporarily be providing all animal care services to El Monte residents. 

The L.A. County Baldwin Park Service Center can be reached at

(626) 962-3577 

and on the web by clicking the link below



Responsibilities of Dog Owner

  • Licensure: As pet owners – make sure to license your pets.
  • Altering (Neutering): Helps control the pet populations by spay or neutering your pet and you can receive a reduced license fee.
  • Micro chipping: Is required and it may help in the return of your lost pet.
  • Vaccinations: It is required to keep your pets healthy by ensuring that they receive their rabies or booster shots.
  • Noise: Ensure your animals do not disturb others. Be considerate of all neighbors.
  • Caring for their Animals/Proper Confinement: Make sure your pets have sufficient food, water and shelter.  Please make every effort to prevent your animal from running at large.
  • Report Animal Cruelty/Neglect: Be the voice of the animals by reporting any suspected animal cruelty, abuse or neglect.
  • Take steps to prevent your animals from harming humans and other animals.


Responsibility of Animal Control

  • Enforce leash law: While out in public, make sure your dogs are on a leash not exceeding six (6’) feet in length.
  • Pick up Dead Animals: Report any dead animal at your residence or in the street for a pick up.
  • Investigate Barking Complaints: Any reports of excessive dog barking will be investigated.
  • Take Dog Bite Reports: All dog bite reports will be taken and forwarded to the proper department.
  • Ensure Kennel Laws are obeyed: If you run a kennel from your residence make sure you contact the animal control, planning and finance department for proper permits.
  • Enforce animal cruelty, neglect, license, and welfare laws.





General Information


City Hall West
11333 Valley Boulevard
El Monte, CA. 91731-3293
Phone: (626) 580-2080
Hours:  8:00 a.m. -  5:00 p.m.
  Monday through Saturday

Closed on Sundays and Major Holidays

For afterhours EMERGENCIES or if your animal has been impounded, call or visit Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control Baldwin Park Shelter at:  
4275 N. Elton St.  
Baldwin Park, CA 91706  
Phone: (626) 962-3577  

How are we doing?


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):