Vision El Monte

Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web


Sign up below to receive the City of El Monte E-Newsletter.

You are here:   Government > Economic Development > Animal Control > AnimalControlFAQ

Animal Control (Frequently Asked Questions)


Who do I call for Animal Control Services in El Monte?
Animal related calls for service should be made to El Monte City Animal Control at 626-580-2080 Monday through Saturday 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.  After hours and on Sundays and major holidays or in any animal related EMERGENCY, please contact the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control at (626) 962-3577.

When does a pet need a license?
All dogs over the age of four (4) months in the city of El Monte and pygmy pigs (potbellied pigs) are required to have and wear a current license tag. (Cat licenses are recommended but not required by law.) Your pet’s license is proof of its valid rabies vaccination, as well as its best chance to get safely home.

Is there a leash law in El Monte?
Yes, when on public property (sidewalks, streets, alleys, parks, playgrounds, swimming pools etc.), all dogs must be kept on a leash not exceeding six feet in length.

Do you have the ability to scan for microchips on animals?
Yes, our Animal Control Officers are equipped with microchip readers that allow them to quickly identify those animals with microchip implants.

I was bitten in El Monte, what should I do?
Seek appropriate medical attention as necessary.  Get the correct address where the animal lives.  Call Animal Control after seeking medical treatment. If the dog is still running loose and continuing to attack, call 911.

What does it cost to license my dog in El Monte?
Pet licenses are $60.00 for any dog that is not spayed or neutered; $20.00 for any dog that is spayed or neutered.  Los Angeles County handles animal licensing.  For more information:

What should I do if my neighbor's dogs will not stop barking?
Try letting your neighbor know that his/her dog is a problem. If that does not work, call Animal Control at 626-580-2080. If the barking is a constant nuisance and is during evening hours, please contact the El Monte Police Department at (626) 580-2101.

How do I report a loose animal?
To report a stray animal running loose in your neighborhood, you may call the El Monte Animal Control office at 626-580-2080. An Animal Control Officer will be dispatched out to patrol, locate, and attempt to contain the animal. When reporting a loose animal please have the location where the animal was last seen running loose along with a description of the animal.

What is Rabies?
Rabies is an acute viral disease that attacks the nervous system, resulting in paralysis and almost certain death once the symptoms appear. The rabies virus is present in the saliva of the rabid animal. The most common way the disease is spread is by a bite from an infected animal.