The Planning Division provides zoning and land-use information to the general public via in-person visits at the public counter, over the telephone and online. The Division oversees the following documents that include the vision of the community and the tools available to assist in its implementation:
Adopted in 2011, the award winning "Vision El Monte General Plan" provides a blueprint to create and sustain a community that appreciates its heritage, respects its cultures and is a place of opportunity and achievement. The Plan’s goals and policies serve as the foundation for local decision making and community engagement. The Land Use Map illustrates various land use designations within the City.
- 2011 General Plan (with 2021-2029 Housing Element)
- Land Use Map - 6/20/2023
- Environmental Impact Report
- 2021 Annual Housing Report
- Local Hazards Mitigation Plan 2017
2021-2029 Housing Element
On August 30, 2022, the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) approved and determined that the City of El Monte's adopted 2021-2029 Housing Element is in full compliance with State Housing Element law. See links below to view the Final/Certified 2021-2029 Housing Element.
To comply with State requirements and provide housing opportunities for residents, the City prepares a Housing Element every eight years. The current Housing Element covers the planning period of 2021-2029. The Housing Element contains goals, policies and programs to facilitate the development, improvement and preservation of housing throughout the City.
- 2021-2029 Housing Element https://www.ci.el-monte.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/4612 https://www.ci.el-monte.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/4612 https://www.ci.el-monte.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/4612
- 2021-2029 Housing Element Technical Report & Appendices (A- Sites Inventory, B- Public Participation, C- Review of Past Accomplishments, & D- Assessment of Fair Housing) https://www.ci.el-monte.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/4608
Zoning & Specific Plans
Title 17 (Zoning Code) of the El Monte Municipal Code (EMMC) includes all existing zoning regulations and provisions. The Zoning Code designates, regulates and controls the location and use of buildings and land, and establishes development standards for development. The Zoning Map provides a visual illustration of the various Zoning Classifications within the City. The City also has multiple Specific Plans for certain areas of the City.
- /DocumentCenter/View/4382 Zoning Code – 5/2/2023
- Zoning Map (PDF) - 5/2/2023
- Zoning Map (Interactive) - 1/31/2024
- Subdivision Ordinance - 5/3/2023
- Downtown Main Street Specific Plan /DocumentCenter/View/1488 /DocumentCenter/View/1488
- Gateway Specific Plan
- Flair Spectrum Specific Plan
Design Guidelines & Resources
Adopted in 2012, the El Monte Design Guidelines provide guidance on quality design for the community. The guidelines include information on site planning, massing and scale, design and detailing and landscaping for single-family, multi-family, commercial and mixed-use projects. The 2011 General Plan also includes elements related to urban design and cultural resources.