One of the purposes of the Code Enforcement Division is to address the issue of substandard living quarters, promote greater compliance with health and safety standards, as well as preserve the quality of El Monte's neighborhoods and available housing.
Property owners are legally required to maintain their property to the standards set forth by the El Monte Municipal Code.
Common Code Violations
- Accumulation of outside storage, furniture, trash and debris;
- Unkempt landscaping, overgrown vegetation and bare dirt;
- Plumbing, electrical or mechanical hazards that create a danger to human health;
- Uninhabitable buildings due to a lack of care, cleanliness, or sanitary conditions;
- Inoperable vehicles or vehicles parked on unpaved surfaces;
- Additions to structures or conversions of existing structures without proper permits;
- Automobile repair in residential zones;
- Equestrian use or livestock in unpermitted zones;
- Bulky items left in the public right-of-way without prior notification to waste hauler.