Residential Discontinuance of Service

A discontinuance of refuse service may be requested for vacant residential properties. To qualify for a discontinuance, a property must be unoccupied and all utilities must be disconnected. In such cases, the property owner must complete and submit a Request for Discontinuance of Refuse Service. The City will grant a discontinuance upon review and approval of the information submitted.

Once granted, a discontinuance remains in effect until June 30 of the next year, and must be renewed thereafter.

To download a discontinuance application, go to Forms and Publications. To request a discontinuance application by mail, please call 626-580-2058.

To submit your discontinuance form via email, please submit to