Starting a Business

All new businesses are required to submit a business license application and pay applicable fees. Existing business must submit a renewal form and pay annual fees. All business located within the City of El Monte must obtain a Business Occupancy Permit from the Planning Department.


Some businesses are also required to obtain a business permit., which typically takes 4 to 6 weeks. In order to obtain a permit:

  1. Determine if your business activity (PDF) requires a permit.
  2. Obtain a Business Occupancy Permit, and all other necessary permits and approvals
  3. Submit Permit and Business License Applications and pay applicable fees
  4. Obtain approval from Permit Committee

Upon approval, your Business License and Permit Conditions will be mailed to you.

Seller's Permits

Seller's permit can be readily obtained at local California State Board of Equalization (BOE) offices in West Covina

or Norwalk.