Business Occupancy Permit
In order to open a new business in the City of El Monte, the Planning Division must ensure that the type of business is consistent with zoning standards. The City has several zones that only allow certain types of uses.
Steps for Applying for a Business Occupancy Permit (BOP):
- Check the zoning map or call 626-258-8626 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure the property is in an allowed zone for your intended business.
- Prepare the following documents:
- Site Plan - 8.5" x 11" or 11" x 17" in size;
- Floor Plans - 8.5" x 11" or 11" x 17" in size; and
- Letter of Intent (Description of business operations)
- Make an appointment to complete the BOP Application at the Planning Division Counter .
- Complete the BOP Application - See BOP sample
- A Maintenance Agreement may be required, if an industrial use in Manufacturing zones. The Planner will notify you of this requirement.
- Get BOP Application sign-off with Building & Safety.
- Pay a base fee of $338.33 (subject to increase - refer to Fee Schedule) and a Business License fee.
- Building & Safety will contact you to schedule an inspection.
- Get Fire Department Approval and/or inspection.
- Upon all approvals and fees, your Business License and Business Occupancy Permit will be mailed to your address.