Business Occupancy Permit
In order to open a new business in the City of El Monte, the Planning Division must ensure that the type of business is consistent with zoning standards. The City has several zones that only allow certain types of uses.
Steps for Applying for a Business Occupancy Permit (BOP):
- Call 626-258-8626, e-mail email@example.com, or visit the Planning Counter to speak with a Planner to ensure the property is in an allowed zone for your intended business. Planning Division counter hours are Monday & Wednesday from 7:30AM to 12:30PM and Tuesday & Thursdays from 7:30AM to 3:30PM. To minimize wait time, please check the waitlist at prior to your arrival at https://waitwhile.com/welcome/planningdivision.
- If it is an allowed use, proceed with applying for a BOP with the Planning Division. BOP applications are only available at the Planning Division Counter.
- Please be advised that a site plan, floor plan, and letter of intent are required to be submitted with the BOP application.
- Maintenance Agreement may be required, if an industrial use in Manufacturing zones. The Planner will notify you of this requirement.
- Upon approval from Planning Division of your BOP application, proceed to the Building & Safety counter to schedule an inspection.
- Obtain Fire Department Approval and/or inspection.
- Upon all approvals and fees, your Business License and Business Occupancy Permit will be mailed to your address.